16.7.04

words today, pictures monday

Yes, I have returned safely from Italy.  Thomas told me I could not come to work today, and I think I'm going to take him up on that.  I slept late, and I'm just lounging around the city now.
 
Let me tell you about Italy:
The trip was a success.  I went from the fast-pace-ness of Rome (Roma in Italian, Rom auf Deutsch), to the more laid back tourist city of Florence (Fireze, Florenz), to the completely relaxing and wonderful city of Salo' on Lake Garde. 
 
Did lots of the sightseeing and exploring in Rome.  I stayed until about 4 or 5 every night.  Marco would get off work at about 12:30 and then we would go out.  Marco was an amazing host.  I plan to be really hospitable to anyone who wants to come and visit Fayetteville because of him.

I'm going to have to go ahead and warn you that mullets are coming back in style.  All the fancy-dressing Italians in Rome and Florence are sporting them.  I don't know if this trend will be transported to us, but I just wanted to give you the heads up.  I was trying to think of the first person we know that would try to pull one off.  I have a few ideas.  What do you think?  Ember has this friend named Raquel from Alabama (I call her Alabama).  She and I played a game where we would make a big scene and point out all mullets that passed our way.
 
Not only did I travel in Italy, I made money there!  I am an official street performer now.  Ember and I serenaded passers by on the Pont du Vecchio, near the market, and by the Uffizi with acapella opera.  Our first performance was at the Pont du Vecchio, and we thought that maybe we'd make a couple of Euro.  We ended up getting 100Euro with all three performances.  It payed for our hostel and train tickets.  So crazy.
 
Lake Garda was just absolutely relaxing.  I could have stayed there another week easily.  I got lots of sun, and hung out in Gabrielle's awesome mansion.
 
I'll post some pictures of what I saw on Monday.
 
I've decided to maximize my German learning in my final three weeks of European learning.  I'm attempting to at least speak no English.  Posts here are going to be shorter or in German, so I can limit the amount of English I use.  I have so little time!




2 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey drew bist auch mal wieder in regensburg morgen abend gehts ab bei der barbara kochen! und das beste: ich wohn ab september in der wg mit barbara zam! hau rein bis montag johannes

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew, I don't mean to use your website for my own personal use, but I'm a little worried about our mutual friend Neil. I haven't seen him for over a month, and I'm gonna have to file a missing persons report if he doesn't turn up soon. I'm afraid he's been kidnapped by some Tennessee backwoodsman. So much for our art show when you come back, Drew. Neil...if you see this, your friends love you and want to see you return safely.
-T
P.S. Tony really misses you too and thinks you're a really cool guy...he's just sad he didn't get to know you a little better before you disappeared on us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home