14.7.05

rain day or the miracle of birth

When it rains in Ghana the kids dont go to school. And the cities mostly shut down. Especially the rural ones.

It rained today.

This is why I'm here using the internet in Tema. Things have been going great. I got to see a birth, which was amazing. The other girl in the clinic got to scrub the baby and such. I rocked her in a little cradle like thing and sang to her. If there is another, I'll get to help even more.

I've been working in the maternity ward side of the clinic this week. Yesterday, I weighed and took the blood pressure of pregnant women. There was a little boy named Kofi who came in with his mom. He sat on my lap, and we played with the blood pressure machine after I fed him a banana.

A woman selling fish proposed to me (watch out Danis!), but I turned her down. "Lean on Me" Muzak style is playing right now. I'm going to bask in that.

4 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A woman selling fish huh? Sounds like she has more prospects than I do. You probably should have gone for it. How does one propose to you while selling fish, anyway? Does she also offer you a nice assortment of seafood?
Can't wait for you to get home!
-Danis

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous that you saw a birth! Have a good weekend Dr. Drew!
-Angela

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did this fish woman hear you sing to the baby? Maybe that's why she proposed! Please, tell me you wear gloves when you are doctoring there-like in the states. Ah, well; so proud of you!
Mom

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger *g* said...

yesterday you saw a birth and in africa while i was in summer school. you have a cooler life!

miss ya drew! come back to tell all of your amazing stories :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home