6.7.05

So here it goes:
I have learned how to give injections (immunizations) to babies. I'm working in the Prampram health clinic, and the nurses there are amazing. I and one other girl are there and they are letting us do stuff I would never get to do back home. My first day I was put with the nurse doing baby immunizations, and she let me do several. I can't explain to you how excited I was that a. I had learned to give a shot and b. had immunized five human being against a slew of would be diseases. Today I worked in the general clinic. We saw one case of rash and forty cases of malaria. Most people had it already as well. The other girl (Krista) worked in the maternity ward and got to watch a birth. A birth! She stayed late to wait for it and the ladies later came running up to her "hurry! run!", so she ran to the back room and watched the baby be born on a rusted bed and a plastic sheet. I might get to watch one later.

All of the structures of Prampram (except the hotel) are basically open air. The clinic, the schools everything. When we walk through town the kids go crazy and start yelling "buffalo" at us (which means "white person"). The kids are amazing. The other people in my group (all college students and one 29 year teacher) are working in the schools and say that the kids are incredibily ready to learn. Erin taught math today and the kids skipped recess to stay and have her check their work.

My hotel is way nicer than I thought it would be. We've had some problems today getting running water. Its kind of hard to remember to not let any water into my mouth in the pool and not to rinse my toothbrush with the tap water. The shower is really hallarious. You must basically kneel (its euro style and cord is too short) and shake a trickle of water out of it. But really this is not a complaint but more of an observation and enjoyment.

I'll be in the clinic for two weeks, in a school for one week, and do a couple of days of construction or painting. I have no idea how often we'll come to this bigger city that we've come to to use the internet.

It costs the kids less than $5 a year to go to school- and still lots can't afford it.

I basically still can't believe that I'm here.

3 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you and all that you are doing! (not to mention jealous) Can't wait until you get home.
-oht

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew: I, too, can't believe you gave immuniz. Wow; you're really going to be a doctor! PLEASE-remember about the water!
mom

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds amazing!! You must take some pictures. Hope you get to see a birth!!!
Angela

 

Post a Comment

<< Home